As you've probably heard, the Firefox Summit 2008, albeit great for meeting face to face people I only knew through IRC or Bugzilla, has been quite challenging:
- Besieged by bears
- Cut away from the rest of the world by a crash bug in the Whistler-Vancouver communication module
- Lost in the dark because of a truck-based DOS attack
We must all thank Dan Portillo for the (much) good of the Summit he masterly organized and the great job he made in working around the issues listed above, but on the other hand they might have been prevented perhaps by choosing a less hazardous place, since "Whistler" was the code-name for Microsoft Windows XP...
However, when yesterday night, after a 36 hours trip, I was finally back in Palermo believing it was all over, I went to get back my baggage -- including most of my t-shirts, 3 pants, 9 bottles of maple syrup for my relatives and friends -- but... it obviously wasn't there. OK, I should have expected some problems since I packed also one leg of Wladimir Palant's, which I had to smoke (on pure maple wood) the day of the power outage, before it started smelling inside my useless fridge.
After waiting about one hour because nobody in the airport could say if the unloading operations were done or not yet (what about implementing a callback architecture or a notification bus?), I had to formally claim it lost and was given a link to a website for tracking the baggage recovery process.
Il sistema non puÃ² indviduare* una lima valida per la vostra entrata.
For those who don't speak Italian (like the author this disturbing text, I hope), this sounds like
The system cannot find a rasp suitable for your entrance.
As you can imagine, I was quite glad the system couldn't ;)
Nonetheless, I still needed to know about the destiny of my baggage, so I retried on a clean profile: same result!
In the end I reluctantly switched the rendering engine through the IE Tab extension, and the system finally decided to be more collaborative: it reported there was no available tracking info yet, but at least it stopped threatening "my entrance" with steel tools.
At that point I checked all the browsers I've got at hand, with the following results:
- Gecko-based: RASP
- IE: OK
- Linx: RASP
- Opera: OK
- Safari: RASP
Before you ask, yes I tried to fake my headers via the User Agent Switcher extension.
* this misspelling seems even to rule out a machine translation with no human intervention